Get a Room!

• Posted by aria on June 5, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Breath of Summer
    2075/6 Persistent Game World Thread set in 2070s

I’m looking for some players for a trip down memory lane to the wilds of 2071. We’ll be using SR5 rules and having an NPC hacker (if required) so that we can gloss over the changes to the matrix system (and you can get wifi bonuses without worrying about them being hacked – of course your opposition can too!). You’ll either be relatively green runners, or perhaps ones seriously down on their luck. The run is an extraction and will begin in Seattle, involve a jaunt to San Francisco and a journey back home again. Depending on the number of interested PCs I might divide this up a bit to allow for realistic group sizes.

I am trying to encourage increasingly collaborative pbp in my games so there will be quite a bit of leeway to influence the course of events.

Character Gen:
    Sum to 10, runner build

Contacts:
    In addition to the normal contacts you get 40 points additional for free (with the normal restrictions on a max 7 points per contact). As they were free you might find those contacts dry up faster than normal, or demand more of you (everything has a price, right?).

Advancement / Rewards:
    As with other games set in our Persistent Game World there are bonus karma points available for inputting your character, pics etc, onto our campaign page on Obsidian Portal. Please let me know your user name and I will get you an invite. The reawrds are 1 karma for putting your character on OP, 1 karma for a pic, 1 for a description and 2 for a detailed character background. Any contact or location write up counts as an IC post for ongoing rewards… and over the course of the game every 2 IC posts will give you 1 karma and 2000 nuyen.

jack_spade replied 5 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 700 Replies
  • 700 Replies
  • beta

June 6, 2017 at 1:15 pm

I’m in, and will re-spin Forty — some of you might recall her from Jayde Moon’s sadly deceased multi-group game.

One question: she was a mysad with alchemy and without spell-casting (incompetent with the sorcery group). Forbidden Arcana decided that mysads don’t get access to the enchanting group anymore. On ShadowGrid one of the freelancers suggested ‘you can always see if your GM will let you swap out another skill group for enchanting. So I guess what I’m asking is if that swap is OK with you? (and I’ll have to find a different negative quality to take).

• aria

June 6, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I have no problem with that if it makes for an interesting character!

• beta

June 6, 2017 at 6:34 pm

The idea was to rely on spirits for power, and not have the full flexibility of spirits+spells+adept powers. (a bit of alchemy is still useful, but not as flexible as regular spells). Plus it kind of works with her background.

• beta

June 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Mostly complete character calculator sheet can be seen here: (knowledge skills and contacts still to be done)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kti9l8OsEEgvwlaRFym58wBy8o_Dc5e_DBOkuobvjK8/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback most definitely appreciated!

Character basics: elf Mysad, was a surge baby, at age 18 was convicted of blowing up an occupied police car with a Molotov cocktail (actually it was her first big air spirit summoning, lightning ignited the moonshine bottles she hurled at the car), for which she served forty years in prison. Magic screening wasn’t so good around 2030 and she hadn’t recognized her talents, and mostly hid them as they slowly developed. She just got out of prison a few months ago, and is living with her chip head sister (human, now somewhat elderly).

Feedback welcome. Intent is to be able to provide
    – spirits (combat, miscellaneous tasks)
    – all the attitude (intimidation at 16-17 dice)
    – teamwork assist on social tests, growing to more competence with time (and a non-disastrous 9-10 dice on her own)
    – basic anti-spirit defense (her own spirits, killing hands+spirit claw+unarmed combat)
    – firefight support (with her Stey-Aug rolls 14 dice, can do a turn of suppression fire)
    – a few low level alchemy tricks (boost logic, boost willpower, heal, analyze device, mind net)
    – some slightly random falling related adept powers that I might swap out for something else.

Known weaknesses:
    – level 1 fake ID
    – lowish stealth, and generally a lack of subtlety
    – Chances of creating trouble (criminal SIN, Firebird mentor spirit (doesn’t let insults go easily), “Did you just call me dumb” negative quality)
    – Logic 1. That is deliberate. It is how she ended up in jail, and why she’ll go back there if she doesn’t learn to think more (for short bursts of better thinking she can prepare increase logic preparations). High priority to increase
    – Edge 1. Also deliberate, luck has not gone her way so far. Maybe she’ll improve her karma and buy this up too.
    – No astral perception (yet, anyway, but that is a longer term project)

• beta

June 7, 2017 at 6:28 am

Apparently I could not handle names last night. steyr TMP, not stey Aug, and thunderbolt, not firebird.

Also realized after posting that analyze device was not a good choice because of object resistance, so will change up at least that preparation ; currently thinking either deflection or accuracy.

And finally pretty sure I’ll change out the falling related adept powers for (if I don’t have a name screwed up again) trackless walk. Should help with the stealth side of things, although I do like the ability to jump out third floor windows, so will see.

EtTA: and now I notice that I can edit posts, doh. Will fix the names in the original post.

• aria

June 7, 2017 at 6:53 am

Wow, logic 1! Hope you’re up to playing an air head 😀

Feel free to stick the character on OP 🙂 looking forward to the bio

• beta

June 7, 2017 at 7:38 am

The build in JM’s game did have logic bought up to 2, but I really felt that how I was playing her didn’t represent logic being that high …. 😮 (but I’ll buy it up fairly quickly in game, because 1 really is ridiculous for a runner. (to put it another way, it isn’t so much that she can’t think as that she doesn’t take the time or make the effort to think logically. She is basically the stereotypical dumb thug, other than race, gender, and choice of weapons).

I posted an introductory piece of fiction in the general IC thread on Dumpshock, and will have biography and character sheet up on OP in next couple of days.

ETA: and now it seems that Dumpshock is down again … if it stays down for long will re-post somewhere on here. Also to note that the character link above has been edited (a couple of spell and adept power changes, negative qualities re-arranged, fake ID improved all the way to level 2, and knowledge skills added. Still need to note concentrations on the skill summary on the first page, and do most of the contacts.

• aria

June 8, 2017 at 7:16 am

You are welcome to post the intro in the IC here! Time stamp was going to be summer 2071 but can work around what you’ve done!

• beta

June 8, 2017 at 11:29 am

Yay, dumpshock is back up!

I have a second piece to write, once both are done I could always post them here (what is up so far is ‘why is she looking for work in the shadows’ but I have planned a ‘ … and that is not all working out so well’ piece, to highlight the desperation).

And a question I asked on Dumpshock, but I’ll put here too in case it goes back down: I’m assuming it is by-the-book character creation, including only 25 points of negative qualities? I pruned down my original list, but they still add up to 29 — I’m keeping them either way, just want to confirm whether the last points are gone. (karma comes fast in this game, so I’m not too worried — but waste not!)

• obidancer

Administrator
    June 8, 2017 at 8:15 pm

I was in Jayden Moon’s campaign. I can attest Forty was a pretty cool character!

• beta

June 8, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Well, she pissed off the Johnson in that game, but in the re-casting of the character I got rid of the “Prejudiced: Humans” negative quality. That was just a bit too common of a bias. Impassive works nicely in the same general space without being as huge of a mechanical impact. (in this case ‘impassive’ is more like ‘in your face’, but coming from the same source (seen too much of the bad side of things) and having the same effect (limits quality of social interactions).

• aria

June 9, 2017 at 6:52 am

Well your fixer / J for this one will be an orc but don’t let that bother you yet 🙂

He will ‘pick you up’ in a runner wannabee hangout, will have to trawl the Seattle books (unless one of you know one) or just come up with a name

• jack_spade

June 10, 2017 at 4:44 am

Ok, I’ve finally got my concept down – all I need now is building Contacts (half of those will probably be spirits) and assigning Knowledge Skills

Khili Nagi-Sunka
    Dog Shifter/Mage (Sioux Tradition) on a mission from his totem to protect a certain someone from getting himself killed…

Full build follows.

• beta

June 10, 2017 at 11:22 am
    384 wrote:

He will ‘pick you up’ in a runner wannabee hangout, will have to trawl the Seattle books (unless one of you know one) or just come up with a name

Do you have a part of the sprawl in mind? I have only the first and the most recent Seattle books, but glad to research what I can (or write something up)

Downtown, Penumbra Station (former club Penumbra) is rumoured to be owned by former runners, and might attract wannabes.

In Redmond, back in the fifties Yoshiro’s was noted as attracting a lotof runners — basic cheap soy food and beer in Woodinville, near Snohomish. meanwhile not quite in Touristville there was The Mad Woman. “…used to be a major nightclub before the crash of ’29. Now dancing and singing are out, while heavy drinking is in, though the owners sometimes turn on the radio so people can toss back shots in time with the music. The place is usually crowded with unemployed shadowrunners drowning their sorrows.”. Which sounds like a place that might not change much over twenty years.

I didn’t find anything runner related for Puyallup in either book.

If you are looking for somewhere else, I can go looking

• snowstorm

June 10, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Would be very interested in this. I know you’re offering a npc hacker but would be very interested in playing a technomancer character if you’re ok with that. If you are good with the technomancer are you using the errata which reduced the fading values and increased number of complex forms?

If you don’t want a technomancer will go with a razorgirl.

• beta

June 10, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Aria, using your character generator spreadsheet, under lifestyles there doesn’t seem to be the options from the CRB, just the ones from Run Faster. OK if I hack in what I wanted to use (specialized work area), or is this omission deliberate?

• aria

June 11, 2017 at 5:57 pm
    441 wrote:

Would be very interested in this. I know you’re offering a npc hacker but would be very interested in playing a technomancer character if you’re ok with that. If you are good with the technomancer are you using the errata which reduced the fading values and increased number of complex forms?

If you don’t want a technomancer will go with a razorgirl.

I think a TM could work without too much head scratching 🙂 Happy to use errata… is it from the core book? Ought to get it on my excel generator!

@Beta: no, not deliberate, think it got lost somewhere! If you mod the sheet I can copy the cells back in to the master! 😀

• aria

June 11, 2017 at 6:02 pm

The Mad Woman might be ok if we can drag Al off the docks… otherwise somewhere on the waterfront???

• beta

June 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm

OK then, Tacoma, Basil’s Faulty Bar

“Tacoma doesn’t have many dedicated runner hangouts, but Basil’s was exactly that for the time that former shadowrunner Abe Heep owned the place.”

But that is about 2077 or so, so in 2071 it should still be under Abe.

ETA looks to be 2-3km from the waterfront. Hopefully he can survive that far inland!

ETA2: 1st edition Seattle book has the same bar, and mentions the owner (Abe) as being a former intelligence agent, willing to sometimes share info with runners. Amazing he survived for over twenty years! But by 2071 his intel should be ancient, but seems runners kept coming.

• adamu

June 12, 2017 at 6:44 am

Al’s drunken revels could take him just about anywhere….though if he lands in some runner hangout it will perforce be entirely by unlucky coincidence, since he doesn’t even believe they actually exist.

Page 1 of 35