Get a Room!

Home Forums 2075: Stormy Waters Panzerknacker Shooting Stars [IC]

• jack_spade

December 17, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Alex replied to Becky and Al with mock outrage:
    “Hey, that is totally uncalled for. I worked hard to become a bonafide actor. Took me years to sleep my way up into getting a Holywood contract.”
    He smiled: “As for some tasteful artistic nudity: I’ll tell you a secret – the next season will feature a lot of surprising thunderstorms, sudden floods, secret meetings in saunas, acidental acid spills on clothes as well as one or two captures with subsequent screenings for tracking bugs.”
    His smile faded: “And no, I trust Ernst Horn implicitly. If anyone, it was probably one of Harlequin’s groupies. That, or one of the dragons had another genius plan. The arrogant fraggers.”

As Preston joined the conversation he said: “Thanks. As I said, you are welcome to hang around the production for a while – but I understand if you just want to get your payment and then get away from here as fast as possible.
    Anyway, my armored limousine will be around in a few minutes. Feel free to hop in – or not.”

• gilga

December 18, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Rebeca observes Lilly’s cyberarm and touches it warily. “So you get to stay in shape without training six hours a day? I could get used to that.” She frowns when Lilly mentions Bills, Rebbeca has seen her way with bills, and she told herself that it was all to pay off debts. Yet, she carried on long after she settled her debts, and long after she had enough for retirement. Rebbeca had no idea why she kept going; perhaps she enjoyed the adventure.

Rebbeca sighs: “Can’t say that I feel an urge to help people. I have seen the worst of people enough times to free myself from good and evil. I am in this drek because it is interesting. I spend most of my days studying and training my body and mind. Work gives me room to let go and have fun. Enjoy the chaos of its all. If your body is for combat – mine is made for an obscure purpose. I am but a pawn in an endless game of and I lack the perspective to understand.”

She replies to Preston, with a comforting grin “Tell me about it… Can you even imagine the pressure I felt over these years to fit in the pretty face role and to capitalize on my natural assets rather than pretend to be a warrior.

When Alex mentions his limozeen, Rebbeca hesitates for a short moment and then asks Preston “Perhaps you want to party with me? I feel that what you need is to relax and have some fun. Perhaps it is what I need as well.

• adamu

December 18, 2019 at 1:53 pm

In response to Preston, Al said, “Done my share o’ travellin’, yessirreebob. But fifty-first-state shit, no, that’s a pleasure I ain’t had much of. It do sound invitin’, though. Nothin’ like…what’d ya say? Roots? Nah, that’s mountains. An’ trees. An’ hot. Not jist the air. The blood. Or the blood in the air. Or…aw hell, I’m a Thespian, not a poet. Jist say it’s a place where dreams sprout an’ spring up an’ the buds swell an’ then they rot on the branch an’ die away without ever the blossomin’, leavin’ behind a pregnant stillness that has a tendency ta explode in ugly ways amongst otherwise honest, God-fearin’ families. I’ll go back someday.”

Once they’d landed at Winslow’s island and Veljanov started talking about limousines, Al, sensing that there was probably a good supply of drink involved, said, “Well, yer boy Horn promised ol’ Al a star turn in yer next season, so guess I’m comin’ along.” With the words, he felt a sharp pang of trepidation, but wouldn’t tell himself why.

• beta

December 18, 2019 at 5:37 pm

“Oh, I’m not skipping this party, don’t you worry Becky! I spent enough time with Tanya to learn to appreciate the good stuff when it is on offer. Then maybe deal with a few bills and preparations in Seattle, then maybe it is time to go home for a bit, let my family know I’m alive. I doubt I’ll stay long, like I said I’ve learned to recognize the good stuff and I don’t think there is much of that in Edmonton’s Registered Ukrainian Language Community — did you know in the Athabaskan Territories just about any group can get their own schools and bylaws, they just can’t get proper SINs? It is how they keep the majority non-native under control, keep them divided into enclaves and make it hard to move around. I can’t imagine going back to living that way, but maybe a visit will help me get grounded, or something.”

• gilga

December 19, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Rebbeca asks “So you come from Athabaskan?”

• beta

December 20, 2019 at 10:52 am

Preston nodded yes to Becky’s question, then elaborated “I was trying to get out just about as long as I can remember. The ‘Ukrainian’ community was too small, almost smothering, and full of reactionary drek-heads. First I thought I’d join a security company — at the time KE was granting Ares’ SIN to new recruits. And then I thought I could make it big enough as a matrix gamer to buy my way out, but I stalled out at the minor league level, still working in a cafe to pay my bills. But in the end I got picked up as matrix support by a UCAS bounty hunter who introduced me to the wonders of fake SINs.” A series of emotions flick across his face as he remembers the good and bad of those years.

After a sigh, he finished up “I never risked going back, it always felt like walking back into a trap I’d been lucky to get out of once, you know? But compared to some of the things I’ve learned about lately, Uncle Oleg doesn’t seem as scary anymore. Plus the pay from this job should be more than enough for any required bribes, so I’m not so worried about getting stuck there. And there was a girl from the Korean community, her family moved up to Fairbanks before we got too serious, but I looked her up not long ago and she’s back in Edmonton … I don’t know, maybe I’ll look her up too.

* Gamma: I did not have any plans to look her up before now
    * Eliza: Sometimes I need to talk outside of my head to let thoughts really develop

• gilga

December 20, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Rebbeca listens, and then comments “Why not… Your choices cannot be worse than mine. If you need some backup going back I don’t mind tagging along. Not sure that it would help you get your girl … “

Page 32 of 32