Get a Room!

Home Forums 2075: Stormy Waters Panzerknacker Texas Hold'em 2078 [OOC]

• Tecumseh

October 16, 2018 at 12:06 am

@adamu
    A couple minor points of clarification:

Ichante isn’t wearing her business suit; she’s just wearing her Wild Hunt jacket. (I know it’s confusing because I was bouncing back and forth between the past and the present tenses in my initial IC post.) The business suit is what she wore to Denver for her shopping trip. When she found out about the CAS job while in Denver, she used it as an excuse to buy the Wild Hunt jacket, which is what she’s wearing to the meet.

I’m treating the Wild Hunt as “outdoorsy clothes for rich people”. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, or if the Globetrotter line would be better for that. I considered both, but Ichante’s not the type to spend ¥1,300 when she can spend ¥3,000 instead.

The other minor point is that I’m trying to have her look non-Native. Via keratin control, melanin control, and facial sculpt, she was aiming for something between Anglo and Latina. Of course, whether or not she succeeded is open to interpretation.

• adamu

October 16, 2018 at 2:25 am

@Tecumseh

Thanks for the clarifications.

I myself am pretty picky about how my character’s appearance/actions are perceived/portrayed, so I totally understand your concern and appreciate your letting me know if I got anything wrong.

Gotta run right now, but when I’m gaming tonight I’ll be sure to edit my post to get her clothing accurate. Pretty sure I didn’t say anything about her current ethnic appearance, just how Al perceived her metatype, but I’ll read back through to be sure and make any appropriate edits.

Absolutely let me know if I ever misinterpret anything else!

Talk later,
    Adam

• Tecumseh

October 16, 2018 at 3:29 am

It was the “squaws” reference that made me think that Al was seeing her as a Native. Again, a minor point, and it’s entirely possible that Ichante’s looks would still be interpreted as Amerind.

• aria

October 16, 2018 at 6:00 am

It might also be a case of getting used to Al’s particular brand of derisory language, bless ‘im ?

It’s never personal, mysogonistic, mildly racist possibly but never personal ?

• adamu

October 16, 2018 at 11:33 am

Right. Squaws. Sure.

Yeah, that’s one of Al’s go-to words for female metahumans. Note that, being plural, it was equally applied to Jazz and Becky.

But certainly can see how it might have caused confusion in this case!

• beta

October 16, 2018 at 5:13 pm

I am ready to edit my IC post (with the repo man ARO), because it is full of assumptions and may have packed too many actions into one post for near combat time.

Hopefully I didn’t cut anyone else off? (it looks like Al and Ichante have decided to be watch for now, and Becky has made her initial move. I’m not sure if Aria had plans for Jazz taking action.)

Also I made a bunch of assumptions, not sure that they are all OK.And hopefully other assumptions are OK
    – I figure one action to make a matrix perception roll, and one action to make and send an ARO (given filling in a pre-existing form at the speed of thought
    – Assuming that buying a couple of hits is enough to identify Nicolo’s link
    – Given Preston’s history of being the ‘trix-tricks side of a bounty hunter pair, having his link stocked with some stock tricks like this to get people to leave where they are is reasonable.
    – He has 11 dice in forgery, -2 for being in AR, depending on what other penalties he’d have for doing this quickly and with inadequate information he could buy one or two hits on forging the ARO.
    – I have no idea if he can actually make the ARO grab Nicolo’s attention. There is a lot of fluff about AROs, but I’m very unclear on what all you can actually do with them.

====================

ETA: on a different note, did a character sheet fix and a couple of tweaks on Preston.
    – changed phobia: canines to uncommon from common
    – added negative quality’ Faceless’ to (more than) make up for the lost negative karma from the phobia change
    – Moves some things around to end up with 10k less money on hand, but a few more knowledge skills bought with karma.

• gilga

October 17, 2018 at 7:43 am

Edited the post as I missed Al’s post when I wrote.

• beta

October 17, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Cross-posted with Gilga, so edited out the final comment about anyone else having a ride.

• aria

October 17, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Updated Jazz’s sheet a bit with some of Jack’s advice. Still got a few contact points to round out but most of those will be Seattle based and not much use here anyway 😛

Background is a work in progress as my computer decided to eat the original version

https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.com/characters/jasmine-wright-jazz

• adamu

October 17, 2018 at 5:54 pm

And….adding to the growing tradition, I cross-posted with Beta and so edited my post to sync up with him (he gets credit for first to post the idea of not going there as a conspicuous caravan!).

I do appreciate these edit notifications, by the way. Helps a lot with continuity/respecting other people’s previous contributions.

• adamu

October 18, 2018 at 9:15 am

Hey all – going to be offline until Saturday night GMT.

No, it’s not that long, but this game’s moving pretty fast, so thought I’d mention.

No reason at all to wait for me for anything.

• beta

October 18, 2018 at 9:49 am

Doh, I’d missed that the Johnson had indicated that he’d like a ride. Since Preston and Ichante have a conversation going, can we assume that he catches a ride with Al, and we’ll all meet up at the Johnson’s motel?

@Adamu — sorry about cross-posting, again. We are doomed.

@Tecumseh — how do you pronounce Ichante, btw? (I’ve been mentally pronouncing it the way that Al did).

And I apologize to all if this game gets a sub-theme of hunting for good coffee :p

• aria

October 18, 2018 at 10:05 am

Who doesn’t love good coffee in a soy based world?? ?

• Tecumseh

October 18, 2018 at 1:23 pm

@Beta
    I’m fine if the coffee quest is just a single IC post denoting success or failure. Ichante is not terribly disciplined with money and will pay pretty much whatever it costs. She might balk if the price gets north of ¥100, but also might splurge depending on the setting.

I’ve heard multiple ways to pronounce Ichante, the primary difference being whether the “ch” is a K sound or a more traditional CH sound. There are also variations whether the first syllable is closer to “ih” or “uh” or “ee”, and whether the final syllable is closer to “tay” or “tee”. So, what’s that, 12 different possibilities?

In my head, I usually default to “ih-CHAUN-tay”, but I’d be lying if the first and last syllables didn’t drift around a little bit depending on the sentence.

• jack_spade

October 18, 2018 at 2:06 pm

*scribbelsfuriously* *realcoffeedepencynoted*

• beta

October 18, 2018 at 2:26 pm

@JackSpade: Preston version 1.0 (Tangled Currents) had addiction: caffeine (I only took half points for it), but I dropped it from this version just because overall it doesn’t have the same downside as a ‘real’ addiction. Doesn’t mean I won’t keep role-playing him the same way, though 🙂 (and he does in fact have professional skill: barista, and a caff/coffee making kit (500nY)). I think Ichante is approaching it more from the “creature of comfort” side of things, than from Preston’s habit/addiction side of things.

• Tecumseh

October 18, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Both from the “Creature of Comfort” angle but also as a foodie. Artisan is one of those catch-all skills that groups a lot of things together that aren’t necessarily alike, but don’t need an individual skill of their own. Ichante has Artisan 6, which isn’t that useful mechanically but I’ll be squeezing it for all the RP it’s worth, which includes cooking (and design for the Fashion spell).

I also took Recipes 4 as a knowledge skill, but in my head this is as much about food in general as it is about cooking. (Thus the distinction ICly between arabica and robusta coffee beans.) I thought about just calling it “Food” but that seemed overly ambiguous. I might change the name if I can think of an accurate, concise way to label it.

• beta

October 19, 2018 at 10:21 am

After today my posting may be spotty for the next week. Probably nothing this evening through until Sunday evening, then likely only evening (EDT time) posts for a few days, and not much around the end of next week. Should return to my normal obsessive checking for new posts by the 28th or 29th 🙂

ETA:
    In case it wasn’t clear, you never need to slog through the discussions of the voices in Preston’s head. Everything that he says and does is in the regular part. The voices is there for my own fun and figuring out where his thoughts are at, and that is part of why I format it that way, let’s others more quickly pick up on the external stuff without having to read a long section of thoughts. I should have mentioned that sooner.

• Tecumseh

October 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm

@Beta
    Noted, but I really liked this:

* Coleman: Being likeable and liking coffee is not a team role.

And I thought this was a great response:

* Gamma: Being likeable and liking coffee — isn’t that a decent description of a face?

In other news, I changed the name of the “Recipes” knowledge skill to “Culinary Arts”. I’ll roll that one around in my head to see if that’s a better fit.

• aria

October 19, 2018 at 1:24 pm

@Beta: I’m really enjoying reading the voices lol

I haven’t put it on Jazz’s sheet yet but she possesses a fake RCC to help preserve the illusion…

Page 2 of 64