Get a Room!

Forums Forums The Found Arcana The Found Arcana – Chapter 5 [OOC]

• The Found Arcana – Chapter 5 [OOC]

beta updated 18 hours, 11 minutes ago 4 Members · 214 Posts
  • gilga

June 24, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I went with Spider(alt.), though a bonus to computers may also be fitting Iktomi.

Thanks for pointing out that Snoop was intuition roll, I might have swapped improved logic to intuition in that case but let’s move on.

• beta

June 24, 2020 at 10:20 pm

I fixed my IC post from yesterday — I’d coded the color tag wrong, which made all the speaking part disapear. Looks like it is showing up properly now.

Sorry that I’d missed it at the time.

• beta

June 25, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Oh that is evilishly tempting! I mean, I’ve been bumping up against the limits of the character build and playing with the idea of swapping him out for someone else, and he has to be tempted by that offer … I’ll try to have a response by morning.

(I told the situation to my son, thinking he might have some suggestions on how to get out of the situation. His response was “do it! Become dragon friend! Tell her everything!” I should have known better than to ask a dragon-fan)

• Tecumseh

June 25, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Oh yeah? I didn’t know that you had been considering a swap. I suppose we should have that discussion when we’re done. (Or now. Whenever.)

I was already planning on checking in on people to see how everyone is doing, not just in terms of this game but also given the state of the wider world.

• gilga

June 26, 2020 at 1:55 am

Wonderful writing Tec.

• beta

June 26, 2020 at 7:25 am

ditto on what Gilga said — the decision wouldn’t be nearly so hard without that excellent writing!

As an aside, some years ago I was reading various essays on narrative style games, and one talked a lot about how a lot of the real tension came from what the author called ‘bangs’ (no idea why that name), which they defined as those moments when a character had to really make a choice between things which mattered to them (protect my family or seek vengeance on my enemy, etc). ShadowRun doesn’t have as much of a mechanism for mapping ‘care-abouts’ as some games do, but essentially for Jawsey this is a choice between following his magic (and as a child he lived as much as he could in the astral, even if he didn’t understand it), and being an independent adult who is making his own path in the world (whatever it takes) and maybe some day being able to make independent choices to shape the world. I hadn’t realized that these were such basic drives in the character until this decision came up and I was trying to figure out why it was so hard.

As a player, it is less hard in the end because I don’t want to have him turn away from the team like that. Just not how I like to play. Now to figure out how to IC this.

• jack_spade

Administrator
    June 26, 2020 at 9:27 am

@Tecumseh

Still alive, thank you for asking 😉

And yes, this dragon offer is incredibly tempting if you consider our situation.

There is a reason for the old SR motto…

• Tecumseh

June 26, 2020 at 1:28 pm

I haven’t heard them called ‘bangs’ before. I suppose it’s similar to what I try to do. I’m interested in choice, the sandbox possibilities of an open world. My goal is to find two equally interesting, equally compelling, equally viable choices and present them to the character(s). If I can get my players to stop and think, or – better yet – feel, then I’m doing my job of creating a fictional world that’s just as confusing and conflicted as our real one.

Who to align with (the Mayor or Andrew) was one such choice. Taking a gamble on Green Toes was another choice. I wasn’t planning on this one coming up – you could have avoided Urubia altogether – but then Jawsey decided to go dancing and then astrally project…

Urubia’s first pass was targeting Jawsey’s Creature of Comfort quality, which I know we haven’t discussed much and may not be top-of-mind for Beta. The temptation is contrasted against the HQ’s current lack of light and heat.

Since that didn’t get any traction, she’ll try a new approach. Jawsey can probably deduce that she’s intrigued by Jawsey playing hard-to-get. It’s not common for someone to keep their cool (to wit, 6 hits on a Composure roll) in her presence.

RP it however you like. I didn’t know that you were thinking of transitioning Jawsey. If you are, this would be an easy out, one that makes sense for his story. She’s not asking him to betray the team or reveal what he knows. If not, then we’ll crack on.

• Tecumseh

June 26, 2020 at 1:49 pm

IC is up for Bobby.

“The Man” is a real thing, or was until the BBQ joint closed late last year. The IC description is accurate.

I tried it once. They usually have toothpick so you can just get one little drop. They were out of toothpicks so I used the tines of a fork and got four drops. It tasted like nothing – like iron filings more than anything, probably from one of the pots they used to make it. (Fun tangent, they used one pot for The Man until it eventually ate through the bottom of the pot over the course of a few years, so they had to get a new pot for it. That’s the strength of it. End tangent.) I felt nothing so I thought, What’s the big deal? and added a big spoonful to my sandwich.

Then I started to walk away and the heat built, and built, and BUILT until I stopped in my tracks, eyes unfocused looking into the distance and trying to keep my composure. It was the hottest thing I’ve ever had. I didn’t go over the cliff but I was right at the very lip of it, staring over the edge. And then I realized, Damnit, I’ve ruined my sandwich.

• beta

June 26, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Creature of Comfort has been top of mind ever since the interlude — Jawsey’s strongest abilities (social) are about to decay unless he can find a solution. This was part of why he asked for an advance from the Mayor (never intended to gamble it all away, he wanted to make sure that he could afford some short term solution on the housing), and why I’ve made IC musings a couple of times about moving or finding a hotel. He’s absolutely up against a hard situation and I’m urgently looking for his solution. The only catch being that he didn’t want to piss off a dragon in the process (so now he’s probably annoyed a different dragon … it really hasn’t been a good 24 hours for him).

But since I hadn’t wanted to take him out of the game, I had him turn Urubia down (on both offers). She aimed them well, so I had to dance to figure a motivation for him to turn them down.

Interesting side effect: for the last couple of sessions I’ve been building him up to discover that his mentor spirit is Pig (as written up in one of the German books (I saw an english summary, and checked with Jack that it was correct). After that whole speech, if he survives long enough to connect with a mentor, I don’t think it will be Pig.

• Tecumseh

July 3, 2020 at 12:31 am

I’m exhausted and about to crash so unless I catch a second wind in the next five minutes I won’t have an IC post up tonight. I should be able to do one tomorrow though.

In the meantime, please give me a Perception (Hearing) roll. Bonus points for Select Sound Filter to cut through the noise of the party.

• gilga

July 3, 2020 at 2:54 am

[url=https://orokos.com/roll/821074]Petception[/url]: 10d6t5 5

• jack_spade

Administrator
    July 3, 2020 at 7:06 am

[url=https://orokos.com/roll/821088]Perception[/url]: 12d6t5 5

• beta

July 3, 2020 at 10:30 pm

[url=https://orokos.com/roll/821353]perception (hearing)[/url]: 9d6t5 5

That was a convenient set of rolls, everyone heard the same thing 🙂

• This reply was modified 18 hours, 8 minutes ago by  beta.
Viewing 201 - 214 of 214 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Who’s Online
There are no users currently online

© 2020 - RPG Playroom