Get a Room!

• adamu

October 13, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Although if his PAN is gone is the gear WiFi at all???

Sure – I think so.

The pan just puts it all under one umbrella. All the individual devices are still there and broadcasting, just not in a unified bundle……..I think……remember this is me, not Jack, talking…..

• aria

October 14, 2017 at 2:59 am

I’m sure it should be possible to rig a ‘big red button’ that when pressed (and only physically pressed) sends a code to alert devices to shut down. Sure the devices could be spoofed but they can be anyway…

The point is slightly moot, with Rick’s spell being sustained he’s got other things to worry about!

• adamu

October 14, 2017 at 3:37 am

So in that case, the question for the GM becomes – what does Alyce find that might especially need shutting down fast in the “could-blow-us-all-to-kingdom-come” department….

{And of course your big red button point is well taken – Al would have something like that….if he bothered having a lot of wife devices!…so anyway good news on Rick’s spell!)

• jack_spade

October 14, 2017 at 8:43 am

To give you my take on these questions:
    Except when his link blows up I suspect he’ll press the equivalent of the WiFi kill switch on his gear!
    By RAW, if he wants to do anything through the matrix, he needs to have a persona – only then can you use matrix actions like control device.
    You can of course push physical buttons, but as soon as your PAN is down, you need to address all your gear individually, since you are no longer in AR.

The next target would include the trode net, so his DNI is gone too (which would make it nearly impossible to switch off everything (contact lenses for example are pretty hard to control without AR)

Although if his PAN is gone is the gear WiFi at all???
    As long as his gear doesn’t receive the order to shut wifi off, it will stay on.

I’m sure it should be possible to rig a ‘big red button’ that when pressed (and only physically pressed) sends a code to alert devices to shut down. Sure the devices could be spoofed but they can be anyway…
    Theoretically, but that isn’t exactly supported by the rules. Such a device would have to be wifi enabled and is therefore very vulnerable against hackers – which kind of defeats the purpose – especially since Isaint has his Jammer running, so the shut off button would need to have quite a lot of noise reduction as well.

The most viable method to create such a device would be to have all your gear directly connected with wires to this shut off device, but that would make it very hard to handle your gear. (For Vindariel I’ve build such an armor with an integrated deck, wired AR gloves with a modded touch receiver, so I can pick up my guns and create a direct connection without having to connect any wires)

• aria

October 16, 2017 at 7:02 am

So all in all, lose your main commlink and you’re fucked… from a hacking perspective. I guess that’s why people have been bitching quite so much about the wifi bonuses in SR5 lol… it’s fine by me, I like the fact that hackers can wreck your stuff… I just have to remember to do the same to the PCs once in a while to keep the balance going! Of course you lot have more bells and whistles up your collective sleeves than the ‘bad guys’ do 😛

• jack_spade

October 16, 2017 at 8:07 am

I sure hope so. I’ve spent quite a lot of time thinking about how I can create a secure working environment (That said: The most secure thing to do is have wireless off and just use micro transceivers to communicate)

• mercy

October 16, 2017 at 10:02 am

From what I can tell, his gear is still WiFi on, and he has to turn them off one at a time, right? Each time takes a separate action and he might not get everything off before her next attack spikes something else.

Thank you very much for the assist, Jack. Much appreciated.

• mercy

October 16, 2017 at 10:16 am

I am posting from work and do not have access to a dice roller here. Can someone help me out in looking for the device?

• aria

October 16, 2017 at 11:38 am

Lost track of how many spells Rick is sustaining (lots?) so no idea if he can toss the grenade back… but Isaint probably can, it’s not wifi enabled!

Or Al could jump on it again 🙂

• adamu

October 16, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Have not updated the combat tracker thing – after the pause to chit-chat, not sure what is going on with initiative. Also not sure at all how far away the guy is, so not sure how many times Al will shoot before he gets to the guy and starts to melee him.

But yeah, charging, shooting as I charge.

Until I get the variables unknown sorted out, I’ll just roll my resist for Rick’s Chaotic World spell and then my first shot.
    Resist chaotic world: 21d6t5 5
    So that’s -2 on my actions.
    That plus my attacking while running penalty are still under half what I can center away, so if there are any other penalties, whatever.

Then usual free to call shot vitals, free to center, complex to fire Semi-auto burst.

Using a narrow spread.

Once all is said and done I calculate a tasty DV of 15 (plus net hits!) and a -3 on the guy’s defense roll, but also an unfortunate AP rating of +4 (basically, with that armor the damage will be stun).
    Pre-edging the attack.
    SA burst while charging Cid: 22d6h5 12

• aria

October 16, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Errr, if you fail to resist the spell isn’t at full effect? Ie -7D???

And I’m not convinced jumping on a flash bang is enough to shield everyone from it as it spews an aerosol that then ignites, it also won’t chunky salsa under isaint so that’s a small mercy ?

• mercy

October 16, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Still, no matter what effect jumping on it does, ISaint is my hero for doing that and Al is still her greatest hero for charging in. What is the effect on Robyn in Hot SIM?

• adamu

October 16, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Errr, if you fail to resist the spell isn’t at full effect? Ie -7D???

Spell descripiton in the book says -1 mod per net success…..so I think my 12 successes on my shot stand.

If I am wrong somehow, or if we’ve been playing it a harsher way on the baddies – I’ll be happy to make it right by spending Edge to reroll fails on my spell resist – 16 dice to get two more hits, shouldn’t be a problem.

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, since before we went off Combat Time to chit chat I said Al was delaying actions, I am assuming he can act (start running) as soon as the grenade comes in.
    OR
    apply the Run for Your Life interrupt action.

So I guess I need a new initiative either way….So that’s 32.

What is totally unclear under Run for Your Life is it says I can use “any available movement” to move in some direction (towards Cid in this case). But does that mean available for the combat turn, or available tor the pass.

So not sure if I need to even use the Interrupt. So initiative 32 or 27….

And either way, I am either five meters away when the grenade goes off or twenty meters away….big difference….and not sure whether there is a mod for the (partial?) smothering. Once those are worked out, I’ll roll my resist of the grenade!!!!

MORE EDIT (since I keep finding a bit more time): So reading a bit more, flashbangs don’r weaken with distance – if I am within five meters I take the whole blast, if I am at 20 meters, I take nothing…
    So that question above needs answering, along with whether Isaint’s action reduces the effect.
    But here’s my soak just in case, and can determine effect (and if I need Edge) based on the rulings on the above.
    grenade soak: 18d6t5 6

• jack_spade

October 17, 2017 at 3:10 am

@aria
    if you rule flash bang as a kind of cloud (which the fixed radius does support) you can use the cloud rules of dive on a grenade, which would reduce the radius down from 10 to 5 m, which should still be enough to keep the others beside Rick out of the effect range.

Dive on the grenade shouldn’t trigger chunky salsa, as the covering character acts as the wall which doesn’t take more damage through reflection (because if it breaks there is no reflection in the first place). Also the interrupt action does says you take the full normal damage (otherwise covering a grenade would be an excellent way to amplify it’s effectiveness .)

@adamu
    running into melee can be combined with the charge action. That would turn the -2 into a +2 dp.

• aria

October 17, 2017 at 3:24 am

Yep, the cloud thing sounds ok, and noted on the spell (should reread this edition once in a while – but then Jack would get bored ?)

Re the radius… Al will be beyond it but Silk, Rick and Alyce will be on the edge of it! Will roll for Silk when I get a moment…

• adamu

October 17, 2017 at 3:24 am

Okay so looks like with my Run for Your Life Interrupt combined with the RAW on the grenade dive I don’t need to resist the grenade.

Jack, thanks for the charge advice.
    I am applying the -2 to my shooting at him as I run.
    Once I get to melee distance (still not sure how far he is), I will indeed be taking my charge bonus!
    So far I haven’t suffered any negative mods to impinge on my 12 successes at 15 base damage, so hopefully my buckshot will be stunning his armored self into dreamland before I ever have to start pummelling him anyway….

• aria

October 17, 2017 at 3:44 am

Al, feel free to roll his resist! You have he stats, but don’t forget the spell on his Full def roll or the large edge pool he has!

• aria

October 17, 2017 at 3:44 am

Adam even ?

• adamu

October 17, 2017 at 6:34 am

Yes, indeed.

Know my job was to do that – been just getting this resolution done piecemeal when I can grab a few seconds.

I’ll do my best to use his Edge to keep him kicking, since if you’re about to go down, why conserve, right?

So first, looks like Cid got missed on the Edge reroll against the Chaotic world.
    So he had six failed rolls.
    reroll fails against spel: 6d6t5 1

So that leaves him at -4 on things.

HIs whole defense pool is left at 8 after penalties from my attack mode, so my math not perfect but I think best use of Edge is to pre-Edge.
    push limit on defense test: 15d6h5 6

So damage is 15 + 6 net hits and his armor will get +4 against my buckshot.
    21 to soak – he can probably do it.
    I put his soak pool now at 32 dice.
    soak Al’s shots: 32d6t5 13
    Nice.
    So now another 19 dice.
    reroll soak: 19d6t5 6

Hah! Hit him for two boxes of Stun!!! (Masks disappointment with false bravado.)
    But more importantly, his Edge pool is down from 7 to 4 .

At this point I don’t know what to do next without some more data.
    For me: how far away was he to start with? I moved up to 20 meters, don’t know if I’ve reached him yet, so don’t know whether to shoot or melee on my next action.
    For his response: I’ll assume he now sees Al as his main threat to address. But not sure what all of his gear is bricked or how that’s impacting him. I do note that Alyce is targeting his primary weapon at this precise moment….

Also not sure which of us goes next – if (A) he acted and (B) Al used a delayed action at that point, then does he get to go next, like a sequential thing, or does it go to who had the best initiative (mine now 27 after my Interrupt….)…

If I go first, let me know distance please.
    If he goes first, I’ll then drop my Initiative another ten to be on full-D.

AAAAAND – oh man! I just remembered you said he was on Full-D too.
    So three more dice on that pre-Edged roll.
    three more pre-edged full-D dice: 3d6h5 2

Ooooh maaaan – so actually those come off before the soak so he takes exactly zero damage from Al’s attack (still down three Edge).

Finally….don’t suppose his “friends” keep shooting at him while Al is charging – if they want him down, this would seem like their opportunity….

• aria

October 17, 2017 at 7:21 am

Doing this on my phone so bear with me…

I think the ‘chat’ can be from free actions so the combat simulator can still be used… I think delayed actions just replace your initiative with the number you go on right? Plus your interrupt…

The room isn’t more than 20m so you’ll be in melee next!

The other SAM will indeed shoot at him but the chaosed adept will charge him too, should get interesting! Again feel free to roll as I’m currently walking the dog ?

Page 3 of 21